Friday, January 13, 2012

Making homemade laundry soap.

I thought I would try my hand at making homemade laundry soap. It's frugal, fun and apparently trendy these days. I must admit with like most things I took the easy route. Most of my friends that make their own laundry soap do the liquid version. I thought I'd try the easy route.


Here's what you will need.
  • 1 c borax
  • 1 c washing soda
  • 1 bar of soap (ivory or fels naptha or other bar soap)

 First grate your soap. I used Fels Naptha. You could also try you could try Fels-Naptha, Ivory soap, Sunlight bar soap, Kirk’s Hardwater Castile, and Zote.

I then put into an old bucket that I had from home depot.


I then measured out a cup of borax. I found this at my local walmart. I'd assume you'd be able to find at most stores in the laundry aisle.


I poured my borax in the bucket with my fels naptha.


I then measured out a cup of ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Again I found this in the laundry aisle.
I then poured this into my bucket with the other 2 ingredients.
The picture above is an inside look at all 3 ingredients. Then all you do is mix all 3 ingredients together.
Tada! The finished project. You can choose to store this in any kind of container that you have available. I used an old cool whip container. See picture below.
All you need is 1 tablespoon per load of laundry. Thought this was a very simple project. I kept all the utensils (grater, spoon, bucket, etc) I used to make this with my laundry stuff so that they don't get confused with my cooking utensils. So now I'm off to do laundry. I'll report back later to see how this worked for my family. Hopefully none of us break out from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment